Proxy server for Torrenting
Features of a Proxy:
- Encrypts 1 program or protocol (Bittorrent Client)
- Connects through an anonymous IP address
- Limited server location choices
- Does not have its own software
- Usually less encryption than a VPN (usually none)
- Usually cheaper than a VPN
- Faster than a VPN
Anonymous Bittorrent Using a Proxy
While most people come to this website looking for a VPN, many find that a proxy is a better option. A proxy has many of the same benefits as a VPN when trying to remain anonymous while using utorrent/bittorrent.
- The IP address your peers see will not yours. Your IP will be anonymous
- The proxy connection allows encryption to prevent throttling/snooping by your ISP
- The proxy providers we recommend do not keep any connection logs
A torrent proxy has several distinct advantages over a vpn
- It is cheaper than VPN service from the same country
- Download speeds will be faster (due to lower encryption)
- You can browse the internet/etc through your own connection, not the proxy
- Connection drops will not expose your true IP to the swarm
With a Proxy, no such software is needed. Because your Bittorrent client will be set up to access the internet only by connecting through the proxy server, if the server fails your Bittorrent client will not expose your true IP address because it cannot access the internet without going through the proxy.
There are multiple proxy protocols, but you should always use a SOCKS5 proxy for torrents (not an HTTP proxy like those commonly available on free proxy lists). Learn why a SOCKS5 proxy is better for torrents.
What is the best Anonymous Proxy for Bittorrent
There are two excellent providers of secure anonymous proxy service for Bittorrent use. They both have extremely similar features: They don't keep any logs, they don't throttle your connection, they accept payment by Bitcoin, and they both allow p2p use. They also have easy setup guides (and even pre-configured utorrent clients) for easy setup.
The two best Bittorrent proxies are:If you're not sure which one to choose, read our article: Torguard vs. BTguard
Several of the best anonymous VPN services actually include a Free Proxy Service at no extra charge.
VPN Services with Free Proxy Included: (Works with uTorrent and all major Bittorrent Clients)
Using a VPN for Anonymous BIttorrent
VPN's also have distinct advantages of their own when used for torrents:
- Installation and setup is as easy as installing the VPN software
- Encrypts your entire connection including web browsing
- Higher grade encryption (but slightly slower)
- Software may offer advanced features not available with a proxy
A VPN usually features higher grade encryption than a proxy which doesn't matter as much for torrent use, but is very helpful for preventing connection snooping or securing your connection on public networks.
VPN service costs around 25-30% more than comparable proxy service, and will be slightly slower.
VPN setup is as easy as installing the vpn client software, entering your login details, and clicking 'connect.' Many VPN's also have extra functionality like:
- Multiple server locations
- Choice of protocol (OpenVPN, PPTP, IPsec)
- Encryption Level
- Extra Features (VPN's may offer extra functionality, though much of it is used to plug security leaks that proxies don't have
Which should you choose for Torrents: Proxy or VPN?
The safest answer is Both:
Did you know that you can use both a VPN and anonymous proxy simultaneously? This allows you to place one anonymous encrypted tunnel inside a second anonymous encrypted tunnel, making sure your internet and torrent use stays 100% anonymous.
If you don't need that level of protection or don't want to spend the extra $5/ month, here's an easy way to decide:
|Choose a VPN if...
||Choose an Anonymous Torrent Proxy if...
Thanks for reading and good luck finding the VPN/Proxy...