Linux proxy server Distro
Web Analyst at Cyfuture India PVT. LTD.
Linux is more preferred operating system, at least in the hosting industry. Linux is open source software which requires no licensing fee. The reason why Linux based hosting plans comes cheaper than those based on Windows. Another prominent reason that makes Linux-based hosting plans a hot cake is its compatibility with the most open source technologies or programs, like – MySQL, Apache and PHP-based Web applications.
When it comes to choose platform for VPS (virtual private server) hosting then Linux is the perfect choice, but finding out the best Linux server distribution or in short “distros” for your VPS is a tough task. In fact, it entirely depends on what you want to do with your virtual private server. Linux being a free and open source software, there are a number of Linux server distros. Anybody can take the existing distros, clone it, change it, and release it as it is own new distros. This is one of the advantages of a free software. Now come to the basic point – What are the top 8 Linux server distributions for VPS hosting? Well! Below are the lists that can give you an insight into the different distributions:
- Debian: For your virtual private sever web hosting; you’ll do all possible efforts to make it stable. You will also wish your Website always up. All you can get with Debian as stability is the strongest feature of Debian.
- CentOS: Similar to Debian, CentOS is equally stable and a conservative distros which has not the innovative software. However, it can keep running seamlessly without any bug or issue which is very common when you use new software.
- Obuntu: Unquestionably, Obuntu is an amazing distribution which is based on Debian. It runs on multiple desktops. Obuntu is a user-friendly distros that works best if used with a desktop version of Linux. But it has some drawbacks. Unlike above two distributions, Obuntu likes to use the latest software; which means unstable, untested and insecure software.
- Fedora: It is a less conservative version of CentOS. Although, it is a good option for so many reasons, but when it comes to the Webhosting, you won’t wish unsecure or untested software. This gives CentOS an edge over Fedora.
- Red Hat Linux: Red Hat Linux can be a used instead of CentOS for your VPS hosting, but it is a Linux version that requires paid license. Red Hat Linux can do hardly more than what CentOS cannot do, but it requires licensing fee. Taking this into consideration, there is no much benefit of using Red Hat Linux.
- Gentoo: Gentoo is a very good distros to be coupled with Linux VPS hosting. It has great customization feature which requires you to have extensive knowledge of Linux. If you are not a seasoned geek, Gentoo is not a good option for you.
- SUSE: SUSE Linux is stable and easy-to-use distros backed by excellent technical support round-the-clock to help you out should there be any technical glitches.
- Xandros; Xandros is the obvious choice for those looking for a Linux server distros with a Microsoft connection.
So which of aforementioned Linux server destros will you go with? So far my opinion is concerned, you can choose between Debian or CentOS as both are equally good. It is better to go with one you’re already familiar with.
Looking for more of the latest headlines on LinkedIn?Discover more stories