How to Fix proxy server Issues?
Change the default Yahoo proxy settings to work behind a company proxy server.
Using Yahoo Messenger to chat with coworkers and customers can be an ideal way to communicate and to get a quick answer to a question. Yahoo Messenger installs with default Web proxy settings that assume there is nothing to block its access to the Internet. However if there is a Web proxy server installed on a company network, this may block Messenger access. Web proxy servers are installed to protect a company network from external virus attacks; they also block some programs from connecting to the Internet using an insecure connection that could be used to break into the company network. Typically, all that is required to fix this issue is to configure the Yahoo Messenger connection using your company's Web proxy settings - this should get you back online while at the office.
1. Log out of Yahoo Messenger if you are logged in.
2. Click "Messenger" in the menu bar, then click "Connection Preferences."
3. Click "Connect via a proxy server, " then click "HTTP proxy" and then click "OK." This will configure Yahoo Messenger to use the same proxy settings as Internet Explorer.
4. Log into Yahoo Messenger again to test the proxy settings.
- The information in this article applies to Windows 8 and Yahoo Messenger 11.5.
- If the above steps do not work, then you should contact your company IT department and determine if other settings are required.